Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Living Aloha in the Bavarian Village

We are living in a time of transition here in the Pacific Northwest. Feet of snow still fill my yard. The incessant rain of the last couple of days has hastened the melting. Rivers are running wild and strong. Pine Grosbeaks have come to strip my Lishka Tree, the Indian Summer Crab apple, of its remaining berries. Gold, House & Cassin's Finches, Chickadees, Steller's Jays, Downy Woodpeckers, Northern Flickers and Quails have all come to dine at my feeders during the winter. Sistah Kitty sits in the kitchen window watching and mentally stalking each one.

Bear ʻIkepono loves to lay in the deep snow and lick tunnels in the snow and ice. His Alaskan Malamute soul is fulfilled at this time of year.

Tonight we start a new Beginning Hula class. Advanced haumana and performers have class on Wednesday nights. My hālau, Mālamalama O Ka Mahina, was born on Hawaiʻi Island in 1984. I taught in Kailua on ʻOʻahu for many years. I began teaching traditional hula and chant here in Leavenworth, WA in April of 1999. That was also the year I adopted my first Malamute, Lishkalani. I live in the yin/yang of Aloha and Snowdogs.

My home has been nicknamed The Bavarian Beach House, by my clever daughter-in-law, Heidi. I have named it Kuʻu Puʻuhonua O Pueo. It is filled with Hawaiian art and books and music. The long porch welcomes you with comfortable rocking chairs. "Hele mai," come in. Together we shall enjoy one another and talk story.

A hui hou, until we meet again.

www.momip.com
www.leavenworth-homes.com
www.wamal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment