Friday, April 15, 2016

Kaleidoscope

Aloha kakahika e hoaaloha. Spring is here; she showering us with a little snow, lots of rain and glorious sunshine. My life is a kaleidoscope of life colors: the constantly turning patterns of interwoven hues encompassing the activities of real estate broker, traditional hula teacher, ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi haumana/student, art journaling enthusiast and companion to Bear Pono and Sistah Kitty. Oh, yeah...and Mom and Grandmother/Tūtū.

Mother Earth is bursting open with the joy of new life. Vibrant color surrounds me: new flowers and old-friend birds returning. I saw the female Rufous Hummingbird searching around the sparse lilac which I have filled with bird feeders and suet. I quickly put her feeder together and hung it in the kitchen window. Within hours she was sky-dancing and drinking. I slid the window open a bit to hear the sound of her wings. Magical music. Yesterday she brought the male; he was an afternoon delight of brilliant velvety red. She sits patiently in the lilac, enjoying the other birds. Bird song is truly loud in the early morning. What a joy here in the village. Bear likes to eat his breakfast and then snooze on the back porch where he can hear his birds.

The hālau was so happy to be a part of the In Celebration of Dangerous Women presented by Icicle Creek Center for the Arts. We held extra practices and rehearsals in order to share our traditional hula with the community. What a fine performance it was. Moving and delightful. Thanks to all who made it possible.

Lishkaʻs Crab Apple 
I have begun sitting on the front porch in my favorite noho paipai (rocking chair) with a fresh cuppaʻ joe. I swear I can feel the earth expanding with new growth. I have been watching Lishkaʻs tree (it was planted in her ashes), the Indian Summer Crab Apple, bud and begin to bloom. The colors range from rich ruby so shell pink and change hourly as more blossoms mohala/open, unfold in the warm sunlight. 


Heidi and Tepʻs Lilies
Drink in all the colors that surround you. 
I walked my green wheelbarrow to Tep and Heidiʻs and dug up a few of their Tiger Lilies to replant in my antique bathtub. Now, I wait to see if they are happy in their new home. Mahalo, Heidi for the photo, as well. What fun to share our lives and our flowers.                             
                                                 
I have clients who need my time and energy and must move my day along. They, too, are beautiful pua/flowers in my life.  Wishing you a vibrant spring with eyes to drink in all the colors that twist and turn moment to moment like a dancing kaleidoscope of magical surprise. Live with aloha.                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment