For most of my life I have been working on the ability to be patient. Ahonui. I was such an impatient child, teen and young woman. Over time I have become quite able to be patient with others. Self? Still not so much. This morning I am realizing that what my friend and physician, Dr Karl, stated some weeks ago is playing out as he predicted. On May 2, I tripped and fell. Splat. Prat fall. Slammed. Caught myself beautifully, as I did not hit any furniture or break any bones in the accident. However, when I went to see Dr Karl, he diagnosed my aches/pains as whiplash. "Donʻt use your right arm. It will take six to eight weeks to heal. If you continue to use the arm, healing will take longer." Today is June 12th and I still hurt. I try NOT to use the arm, yet obviously still do so in lesser ways than usual. Type A personalities like mine are not easily self-constrained from zooming from task to task. Sistah Kitty is delighted with my need to be still. She is on me the minute I sit down. Sproing! Happy Sistah! My patience, ahonui, wears thin many times each day. And I am the culprit. Although I donʻt do any heavy work I still water the flowers, brush my Bear Pono, vacuum the flying Wooly Bear fur. Professional and personal work on the computer. Frustration follows me right now. Even art journaling hurts. That makes me sad.
I did choreograph a new noho dance with stones, the ʻiliʻili, for my students, my haumana. Of course, that dancing does make my neck, shoulder, arm ache. However, the joy of creation over-rides the soreness. It is a beautiful and meaningful mele. My students are dancing and chanting in new ways now.
Kanalani will massage me for the 2nd time on Monday. Such relief. Her healing hands working with aloha to pull the soreness from my neck/shoulder/arm. So, today, I am vowing to do less, wear the sling more, and slow down! More Tylenol, more ice. More non-motion. You would think an elder would relish the chance to slow down a bit. Not this one. And I know that in the greater scheme of things, my injury is nothing. Okay, pau with that. Today is glorious: sunny, cool temperatures with Keola Beamer music floating in the background. Bear Pono and I will get another fine walk today; early, in the coolness, suitable for a wooly malamute still blowing his thick coat. I will cherish each moment and think healing light. Live with aloha.


No comments:
Post a Comment